Minutes: April 10, 2018 Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at May 8, 2018 Board Meeting
April meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Michelle Meis with the Pledge of Allegiance. Supervisors present include, John Paitl, Branden Mell, Betsy Rising and Tom McKenzie. Also present was Clerk, Stan Iskierka and Treasurer, Mary Dillner.
Agenda (Additions or Changes)
Motion by Mell seconded by Paitl to approve Agenda with the addition to place Historical Society in New Business. Approved.
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Rising to approve April Minutes. Approved.
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Rising to approve Treasurer’s Report. Approved.
Motion by Mell seconded by Paitl to approve paying bills. Approved.
- Snowplowed and salted roads
- Worked on standing water on road
- Checked frozen culverts
- Mell would like to see Muddy Hollow use the road conditioner or grader when the condition of the road dries enough to do road maintenance.
- Road tour may be set up at the end of the month, weather permitting.
- At the end of Bayview Ave, someone is driving off the road causing damage to the Township road. If it is going to be a driveway, it should have a culvert installed. Rising will check on the problem.
- At the end of Acacia Way, someone is using an old driveway coming from Grumpy Minnow Campground that is not to be used by the campground. Rising will check on the problem.
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Paitl to accept the Maintenance report. Approved.
- Jeremy Iverson – Requesting a variance to build an addition to his home. The setback to the road would be less then what is required with the addition at 415 Acacia Way.
Motion by Mell seconded by Paitl to approve the addition to the home. Approved.
- Kerry Guthrie – Requesting a variance to build a deck closer to the lake then the required setback at Boxwood Ave.
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Rising to approve the building of the deck. Approved.
Conditional Use Permit
- Sandra Achterling – Requesting a Conditional Use Permit for a dog breeding kennel at 769 492 St. W.
Motion by Mell seconded by Rising to approve a Conditional Use Permit for a dog kennel. Approved.
- Rush Point Store – Requesting approval for a liquor license.
Motion by Rising seconded by McKenzie to approve liquor license. Approved.
- Flickabirds Resort – Requesting approval for a liquor license.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Mell to approve liquor license. Approved.
- Gravel Bid – Gravel bids were open for 7000 yards of gravel. There were two bids: Knife River at $12.60 per cubic yard and Hass Construction at $10.10 per cubic yard.
Motion by Mell seconded by Rising to approve the gravel bid to Hass Construction at $10.10 per cubic yard for 7000 yards of gravel. Approved. .
- Mell would like approval of the rewritten Nessel Township Policy Manual that was discussed at the Special Meeting on April 9, 2018.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Rising to approve the rewritten Nessel Township Policy Manual. Approved.
- Iskierka would like approval of the Minutes of the Special Meeting on Monday April 9, 2018 to discuss and rewrite sections in the Nessel Township Policy Manual.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Mell to approve the Minutes of the Special Meeting that discussed the Nessel Township Manual on April 9, 2018. Approved.
- Deputy Clerk – Iskierka requests approval of a newsletter that he wrote advertising the hiring of a Deputy Clerk. He also mentioned that the newsletter has an article about the installation of the reflective blue address signs that will be placed in service this year.
Motion by Mell seconded by Paitl to send Newsletter out to the Nessel Township area advertising for a Deputy Clerk. Approved.
- Nessel Township Website – Iskierka organized the information that will be installed on the new website. Mell would like to see the Policy Manual and the projects from the road tour placed on the website. Board approved the information that will be installed on the new website. Iskierka will get the cost to install a new website.
- Park Shelter – Received a check for $15,600 from Chisago County to help pay for the new park shelter. The Board authorized McKenzie to proceed with the park shelter project and get the cost as well as a timetable for the construction of the the park shelter.
- Anchor Ave – Road covering has Otta Seal and in some places the Otta Seal is badly cracking and needs some type of work to repair the damaged sections. Board discussed the problem and feel they may have to cold patch for now. McKenzie will talk to the County Engineer on what steps we could take to remedy the problem.
- Rush City Fire Contract- The new 2018 Fire Contract cost will be $15,391 which is about $11,000 less than the 2017 contract.
- Board of Appeal – Will be held on Tuesday April 17, 2018 at 9:30 am at Nessel Town Hall.
- Lawn Care – Needs approval for 2018 contact with L& L Lawn Service to maintain the lawn at the Township Hall. Cost for the service will, be $65 per time.
Motion by Rising seconded by McKenzie to approve 2018 contract with L & L Lawn Service. Approved.
- Historical Society – Iskierka has discovered some old birth and death records that go back to the 1830 and he would like to bring them to the Chisago County Historical Society. They will preserve the books and share the history with the public. The building is in Lindstrom.
Motion by Mell seconded by Paitl to have the Clerk turn over the old archives to the Chisago County Historical Society. Approved.
- Belle Isle Dr – Board discussed what we will do if there are complaints about the new portion of paved road. There is about $23,000 left over from the construction that can be used to repair the road. Contractor will seal a portion of the road where there are minor cracks as that is part of the warranty. Board will get the cost to seal the whole road and if the residents want it sealed then they could use the $23,000. Mell to check with SEH to find out the cost to seal Belle Isle Dr.
- Blue Heron Rd. – Joint Power with Fish Lake Township will continue without the assigned meetings. The required meetings will take place if there is a maintenance problem on Blue Heron Rd.
- Internet – The Board discussed installing Internet at the Town Hall and Iskierka will do some inquiring about it.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Rising to adjourn at 8:40 pm. Approved.