Minutes: January 8, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the February 12, 2019 Board Meeting
January meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Michelle Meis with the Pledge of Allegiance. Supervisors present included, John Paitl, Betsy Rising, and Branden Mell. Clerk, Stan Iskierka, Deputy Clerk, Kelli Storck and Treasurer, Mary Dillner were also present.
Agenda (Additions or Changes)
Motion by Rising seconded by Mell to approve Agenda. Approved.
Motion by Rising seconded by Paitl to approve December Minutes. Approved.
Motion by Rising seconded by Mell to approve Treasurer’s Report. Approved.
- The amount of $188.85 is the engineering fee to close the S.E.H. contract for Alpine Avenue and will be paid from the Alpine Avenue N. SSD account rather than the general fund account.
Motion by Rising seconded by Paitl to approve paying bills. Approved.
- Plowed and cleaned up drifting snow on roads
- Plowed and cleaned up ice on tar roads
- Plowed and cleaned up slush in intersections
- Plowed scraped and salted roads
- General maintenance on damaged mailbox/mailbox post
- Concerns of vehicles parked in the way of the snow plow on Afton Way
- Residents complained that Afton Way was not plowed. This was due to a vehicle that was parked in the way which made it hard for the plow to do a good job but he returned to plow the road again.
- Rising thanked John Sutcliff for filling in for her and going out on road complaints.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Rising to approve the maintenance report. Approved.
- Salt/Chip Rock – Mell discussed the concerns that residents on Alpine brought up to him with the use of salt vs salt/chip rock. Some of the residents on Alpine want just salt used on their road and not the chip rock. After discussion by the Board, it was decided that the chip rock with salt will be used because of safety liability concerns to the Township.
- Supervisors Report – Approval is needed for the 2019 Supervisor’s Report that will be presented at the Annual Meeting in March for the recommendation of the 2020 Budget/Levy. The Budget will be $563,338 and the Levy will be $490,782.
Motion by Mell seconded by Rising to approve the 2019 Supervisor’s Report and the 2020 Budget and Levy. Approved.
- 2019 Budget – Mell had some questions regarding the 2019 budget and where the dollar amounts are coming from. Some discussion and explanation followed.
- Braham City Fire Contract – Iskierka presented the 2019 Fire Contract for approval.
Motion by Rising seconded by Paitl to approve paying the City of Braham $16,677.51 for the 2019 Fire Contract. Approved.
- Road Contract – The Board discussed updating the 2-year contract with Muddy Gap Hollow Inc. Mell will review the steps that are needed to update this contract. It will be put on the April 2019 agenda to discuss the renewal contract with Muddy Gap Hollow Inc.
- Compliant Mailbox – The updated Nessel Township Policy Manual was dispersed to the Board.
- Board Member Assignments – Rising will continue as the Chair on the Road Committee and newly appointed Landon will be the Second Chair for the Road Committee. Paitl will continue as the Chair on the Budget Committee and when possible, he will also assist with the Road Committee. Mell will continue on the Contract Committee and also on the Policy Committee. Meis will continue as the Board Supervisor.
- Alpine Ave N. SSD –The final payment invoice for Tri-City Paving Inc.in the amount of $6,885.67 for Alpine Avenue SSD, was presented by Iskierka for final payment approval. Note: The Alpine Avenue N. SSD account started with $147,437.00 minus $135,585.42 for a balance of $11,851.58. This balance will be used towards maintenance on Alpine Avenue.
Motion by Mell seconded by Rising to issue the final payment of $6,885.67 to Tri-City Paving Inc., for the Alpine Avenue paving project. Approved.
- New Board Member – Approval needed to offer Jared Landon a Supervisor position on the Board.
Motion by Rising seconded by Paitl to approve offering Jared Landon a Supervisor position on the Board. Approved.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Rising to adjourn at 8:10 pm. Approved.