Minutes: March 13, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the April 9, 2019 Board Meeting
March meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Michelle Meis with the Pledge of Allegiance. Supervisors present included, John Paitl, and Jared Landon. Also present were Clerk, Stan Iskierka, and Treasurer, Mary Dillner. Not present were Betsy Rising, Brandon Mell and Kelli Storck.
Agenda (Additions or Changes)
- Additions to new business:
- 540th Street
- Approve Levy
- Plaque for Tom McKenzie
Motion by Paitl seconded by Landon to approve Agenda. Approved.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Landon to approve February Minutes. Approved.
Motion by Landon seconded by Paitl to approve Treasurer’s Report. Approved.
Motion by Landon seconded by Paitl to approve paying bills. Approved.
- Jeff Holton – wants to know what the plans are for Anchor Avenue. Meis explained that there is not a plan right now and it is still under discussion as to what is the best way to proceed. Holton suggested that Anchor Avenue gets paved and suggested that we involve Fish Lake Township being that they are the majority of the people who use the road. He also suggested that we count how many people drive down the road and put another count at the township line to get the ratio of how many people from Fish Lake Township vs Nessel Township use the road. Holton is also concerned at how fast people drive on the road.
- Randy Chilson – He is also concerned about Anchor Avenue. Chilson wants to have the road paved, but if that does not happen, he does not want the road to go back to a gravel road. He also suggested that a 30-MPH speed limit sign be put up on the road as people drive 60-MPH down the road which he stated contributes to the road deteriorating.
- Plowed and cleaned up drifting snow on roads
- Towed a couple of cars
- Plowed and salted tar roads
- Levy approval for 2020 – Need to approve the 2020 Levy for $490,782.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Landon to approve the 2020 Levy for $490,782. Approved.
- Shorewood Park Sanitary District – Resolution 02-2019 was approved at the February 2019 meeting with the stipulation that Nessel Township will not plow any private roads that are in the new extension of Shorewood Park Sanitary District. The resolution has been updated stating this and has been signed.
- Short Course – A reminder that we are meeting at Township Hall at 7:00 am to carpool to the Short Course training. Need to approve the payment from Nessel Township to pay the fees for the Short Course.
Motion by Landon seconded by Paitl to approve the payment from Nessel Township to pay the fees for the Short Course. Approved.
- Board of Appeal – Will be held at Nessel Township on April 16th at 9:30 am.
- Rush City Fire Contract – Rush City Fire Department has an amended contract written up with the changes to the sections in the Township that they will provide fire protection service until December 31, 2020. Need to approve the contract.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Meis to approve the amended Rush City Fire contract that will be in effective until December 31, 2020. Paitl and Meis voted yes, Landon voted no. Approved.
- Landon did not approve and wants to review the contract and would like to see what Braham Fire Department could possibly offer.
- 540th Street – This is a road that Nessel Township shares with Royalton Township. They recently had an engineer look at the road and he stated that the specs for the road need to be updated and that they are not in compliance. The engineer suggested adding 2” of class 5. Royalton Township asked if the Township would consider sharing the cost since we share the road. We do not have an estimate at this time. We will need Royalton to get an estimate and then we can discuss.
- Plaque in memory to Tom McKenzie – Being that Tom McKenzie was the person to spearhead the building of the park shelter, Paitl suggested that the Township purchase a plaque in memory of Tom McKenzie and place it at the park shelter site.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Landon to approve purchasing a plaque in memory of Tom McKenzie with the cost not to exceed $100. Approved.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Landon to adjourn at 7:30 pm. Approved.