Minutes: March 9, 2022 Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the April 12, 2022 Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair Michelle Meis, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisor’s present includes Stan Iskierka, Branden Mell, John Paitl and Betsy Rising. Treasurer Mary Dillner and Clerk Mary Winter were also present.
Motion to approve the agenda by John Paitl, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
Motion to approve the minutes by Stan Iskierka seconded by John Paitl. Approved.
Motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report by John Paitl, seconded by Branden Mell. Approved.
Motion to approve paying bills by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Treasurer Mary D. recommend the last page of the Bills not be printed out of our CTAS software as it is a signature page only, total of bills will be on the last page provided to the board. The board approved.
- Shaun Fiedler – Request for rezoning.
- Motion to approve Shaun Fiedler rezoning by Branden Mell, seconded by John Paitl. Approved.
- Nicholas & Alison Kaminski – Preliminary plat review
- Motion to approve Nicholas & Alison Kaminski preliminary plat by John Paitl, seconded by Branden Mell. Approved.
- Branden and Ann Mell – CUP amendment.
- Motion to approve CUP amendment by Betsy Rising, seconded by John Paitl. Four supervisors voted to approve; one supervisor abstained. Approved.
None at this time.
Road Maintenance Report
- Plowing was done on township roads.
- One storm had a potential to be much worse than it was. Plowing was done back-to-back.
- Cut down a couple of trees from heavy winds.
- High winds have created drifting which in turn created the need for additional plowing.
- Road Committee –
- A total of 2 complaints with the road. Contacted both residents and there was not a problem after we spoke.
- A couple of trees down which were removed.
- Lake Dr. in Shorewood was not plowed due to cars blocking the ability for the plow to enter.
- Budget Committee –
- Approval of 2023 Budget
- Motion to approve 2023 Budget of $797,800 by John Paitl, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Approval of 2023 Levy
- Motion to approve 2023 Levy of $727,380 by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Approval of 2023 Budget
- Contract Committee –
- Century Link June 1st deadline to get fiber into homes with no cost for hook up is coming up. Recommendation is to add this to our website for residents to see. Clerk will complete this task.
- Policy Committee –
- No update at this time.
- Century Link – WIFI and Phone
- Clerk has not heard back from our Rep from Century Link. Will continue to contact them.
- Board provided additional direction to contact Katie Murray, the rep who worked with the township installing fiber optic for our township.
- February 2022 CCATO Meeting
- Back ground was provided from the February CCATO meeting to the board.
- Flare up at MAT meeting with our MAT rep, Mike Miller, which escalated and got out of control quickly.
- Our CCATO rep has a large district. Oxford township, which is in our rep’s district, stated they received notice that MAT was providing classes and we only got 2 weeks’ notice, they do not have time to meet and approve any of this.
- Our rep agreed stating there is some systemic issues and invited Oxford Resident to come to the MAT meeting to express his concerns.
- Oxford Resident was not allowed into the meeting per the attorney as this was a closed meeting.
- After some wrangling, they allowed Oxford Resident to join the MAT meeting.
- During the MAT meeting when it was our reps time to speak, he deferred his time to the Oxford resident. He was told he cannot do that. This is a closed meeting.
- MAT is 501(c)
- Words were exchanged. Our rep apologized and stated he lost it.
- Our rep stated any township could sue you over this. This shut the meeting down immediately.
- Steve Fenske the MAT attorney told everyone to stop talking and told our rep to leave the meeting.
- Our rep left the meeting voluntarily so this would not become a larger issue. Our rep feels MAT meetings are public.
- We pay MAT money and they provide good services to Nessel township.
- White Bear township left the MAT organization.
- Approval to Publish Tree and Brush Removal Policy
- Motion to Publish Tree and Brush Removal Policy by Branden Mell, seconded by John Paitl. Approved
- Approval to Publish LBAE
- Motion to Publish LBAE by Branden Mell, seconded by John Paitl. Approved
D. Approval to Publish Gravel Bids
- Motion to Publish Gravel Bids by Stan Iskierka, seconded by John Paitl. Approved
- Supervisor Stan Iskierka mention he is working on dust control. Working towards a June 8th for dust control. Attempting to get quotes. This date could slide.
- Road Tour Date Setup
- Road Tour for inspection of Nessel Township roads scheduled for Tuesday, April 19, 2022.
- Chisago county Ag Society
- This falls under our policy. Nessel Township does not do donations.
New Business Con’t
- Bayview Residents snow drifting on Road
- Treasurer, who lives on Bayview Road states she is receiving phone calls from residents on drifting on Bayview Road.
- Policy is for the resident to call Supervisor Stan or Chair Michelle for all plowing issues.
- Clerk update
- Clerk will add to the agenda under Committee Reports “Clerk Update”
- Supervisor Brandon Mell wants to ensure there is ongoing communication between Clerk and Chair.
- Clerk states there is great communication between Stan, Michelle and myself.
- Branden suggested that in the future we may want to put clarity in the Clerk’s job description around expectations for Chair and Clerk communications.
- Annual Meeting
- Clerk was instructed to add the annual meeting date and time to the front page of our web site.
- Dust Control – Clover Trial
- While at the County Branden Mell spoke with a Sheriff deputy about the dust control and the push back and calls, they are receiving about Clover Trail.
- Flickabirds obligation for dust control is not to the township but with the county,
- Branden stated to the Sheriff that the Township chlorides in June and if residents are calling you in April about Clover Trail, then have Flickabirds do something about it then. Nessel township is not responsible for enforcement of dust control on Clover Trail.
- Stan made mention the township had the sheriff do its 1st citation for a car obstructing snow plowing.
Motion to adjourn by John Paitl seconded by Stan Iskierka 8:22 pm. Approved.