Minutes: May 11, 2021 Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the June 8, 2021 Board Meeting
May meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Michelle Meis and the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisor’s present includes Branden Mell, John Paitl and Stan Iskierka. Treasurer Mary Dillner was also present. Not present Betsy Rising.
Motion to approve resignation of Kelli Storck as clerk by Iskierka seconded by Paitl. Approved.
Motion to appoint Mary Dillner as Clerk and Mary Winter as Deputy Treasurer, approved.
Oath of Office for Clerk by Mary Dillner and for Deputy Treasurer by Mary Winter was taken.
Agenda (Additions or Changes)
Add Acacia Lane to New Business
Move Gravel Bids to top
Motion by Paitl seconded by Rising to approve the Agenda. Approved.
Open Sealed Gravel Bids
Two bids were received. Hjort at $13.97 per cu yard and Hass at $10.60 per yard. Motion by Mell seconded by Paitl to approve Gravel bid by Hass. Approved.
Motion to approve the May Minutes with changes – LRIP is funded by State of Minnesota not Chisago County by Mell, seconded by Paitl. Approved.
Motion by Mell seconded by Iskierka to approve the Minutes of the Tax Assessment Appeal Meeting of April 21st. Meeting being noted resident two is a Supervisor and abstained from voting. Approved.
Motion to approve the Minutes of the Special April 14th meeting for Chloride, Deputy Clerk and Maintenance Contract by Mell, seconded by Iskierka. Approved.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Iskierka to approve Treasurer’s Report. Approved.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Iskierka to approve paying bills. Approved.
Motion to approve Peterson variance to exceed impervious surface coverage encroachment on lake, by Mell, seconded by Iskierka. Approved.
Motion to approve Peterson remodel of cabin with second floor addition, and an overhang for porch covering, which will be 12’ closer to the lake, change location of the driveway and garage, and add more square footage to garage by Paitl, seconded Iskierka. Approved.
Resident asked for Township to grade, gravel, chloride and plow private road. Discussion followed. Mell suggested resident should check with an Attorney that is familiar with township roads, and to directly hire their own contractors on behalf of the neighborhood residents.
- Graded various roads.
- Fixed frost boils.
- Discussed closer of County Rd. 4 on May 12th.
- Cleaned up garbage thrown by residents’ roadside.
Road Committee Reports
- Road Committee – Motion to approve Chloride Policy draft after special meeting changes by Mell, seconded by Iskierka. Approved.
- Iskierka has notified Century Link regarding marking 4 pedestals in roadway.
- Iskierka and Meis will be measuring for Chloride treatment.
- Budget Committee – N/A
- Contract Committee – Prebid meeting for the maintenance contract May 27th at 7:00 p.m.
- Policy Committee – Update on the request for funding of the Grant for LRIP may not be opened until June.
- LRIP – S.E.H. proposal for engineering will be higher than Anchor Ave due to using state funds engineering must be at a higher level. If we get the grant, we will have to draft a petition to the residents, Call Ruppe and plan our steps forward, get an estimate of cost.
- Chip Sealing – Pearson Bro. will start Chip sealing on Bayview Ave mid-July.
- Clerk duties –Review job description and the Board expectations including office hours and phone duty. Discussion followed regarding long term plan and making the current clerk position permanent. Questions were asked to Dillner and Winter regarding commitment to the position long term, and answered, including ideas cross training the clerk and treasurer.
Royalton 540th Nessel Township will assume the road maintenance of the road shared with Royalton Township June 1st.
Graveling a portion of 540th st is needed. Royalton Twp. Asked if Nessel Township will pay for half the cost of gravel. Sutcliffe will measure to verify footage and yards of gravel needed.
Motion by Mell to approve paying ½ of the gravel based on the bid at $10.93 per yard for 500-550 yards after the amount is verified and with the understanding that Royalton Twp. spreads the gravel, seconded by Patil. Approved.
Motion to accept the proposal from Prefer Seal Coating for the crack sealing of roads for $8,834 by Mell seconded by Paitl. Approved.
Rush City Fire increased to $39,000 from the budgeted $26,000. Discussion followed; all costs are actual. Branden will call Rush City, perhaps we can get a 3-year proposal for budgeting.
Motion to approve paying the Rush City Fire Dept invoice by Stan, seconded by Michelle. Approved.
Credit Card Meis proposed the use of a credit card for the township purchases. Discussion followed regarding limits and institution to use, and if a government entity can acquire a credit card.
Motion by Mell to obtain a credit card once we have determined what bank will be used by the Township, seconded by Paitl. Approved.
Motion to remove Kelli Storck as a signer at Unity Bank by Paitl, seconded by Iskierka. Approved.
Motion to approve Mary Winter as a signer on the accounts at Unity Bank, by Mell seconded by Paitl. Approved.
Acacia Lane – Discussion regarding residents’ complaints of speeding and dust on Acacia Lane from Rush Haven Campground. Stan will contact the state regarding the road regulations, Branden will contact the county regarding the conditional use permit.
Sutcliffe notified the Board of his call to the Sheriffs department of abuse to the road on Basswood.
Motion to approve Sutcliffe to apply gravel as needed based on the amount of gravel purchased of 8,422 yds by Paitl seconded by Iskierka. Approved.
Sutcliffe informed the board, County trucks parked at Nessel Twp. Hall were vandalize. Security camera has not been installed. Iskierka and Sutcliffe will attempt to adapt the current camera, but it appears to be for inside use, Twp. may need to purchase a different type of camera. Paitl noted that he watched and has pictures of persons hanging around on Twp. property that appear high on drugs.
Motion by Paitl seconded by Iskierka to adjourn at 9:22 pm. Approved.