Minutes: May 9, 2023 Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the June 13, 2023 Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair Michelle Meis, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisors present includes Stan Iskierka, Doug Johnson, Betsy Rising and Branden Mell via Skype. Clerk Mary Winter and Treasurer Mary Dillner were also present.
Motion to approve the agenda by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Added to agenda under “Old Business” Furnace and Air Conditioner Quotes
Board Meeting Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
LBAE Meeting Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
Motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Motion to approve paying bills by Betsy Rising, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
- Resident Gary Paske on Afton Way spoke about the erosion he is having on his property. There are 3 properties involved. He stated that one of the properties belongs to Nessel Township. Gary brought in a map of where this problem is. Supervisor Stan has spoken with the resident about the issue. Gary received a bid to fill in the eroded area for $1600. The road committee has decided to meet Gary out on the property on Afton Way to discuss the erosion issue, how it happened and decide if this is a Nessel Township issue.
- Resident Mike Danielson, at the end of Azalea Ave asked what it would take for Azalea Ave. to be extended onto the private drive that he currently has. Mike’s desire is to split his property. Supervisor Stan told him he will need to build the road to township specification working with a road engineer who would then need to work with Nessel Township.
Road Maintenance Report
- Snow melted fast creating lots of issues, roads got bad fast.
- Replacing culverts.
- We closed one road off for a while.
- Frost boils showed up after road tour.
- Roads are packing in good.
- Tree went down on Basswood.
- Pulling gravel back to the shoulders.
- Completed a lot of grading and repairing of roads.
- Road Committee –
- Road Tour Update –
- Need approximately 7,000 yards of gravel for roads.
- 4 culverts need to be replaced.
- Created a list of road signs that have been ordered.
- Because of wash out John has spent his time grading.
- John will create a map where the gravel needs to go for when we are ready for the gravel.
- Dust Control Update –
- We have not had many responses on the dust control letters that were sent to residents.
- Dogwood Ave. –
- There are about 7 cars at a rental property on Dogwood Ave. Supervisor Stan will create a letter to be sent to both the owner and the current rental residents.
- Budget Committee –
- Nothing at this meeting.
- Contract Committee –
- Shorewood Sanitary District
- Supervisor Branden asked if the board had heard anything from Shorewood about snowplowing in the development. Treasure Mary D has spoken with Tina at Shorewood and has a recap of expenses that are unpaid. Clerk Mary W. sent the subsidy Agreement with Midco to Colleen. Supervisor Branden will reach out to Rich Stork the president. Chair Michelle and Supervisor Branden will meet with Rich for a preliminary discussion before it comes back to the board.
- Maintenance Contract Review – Supervisor Branden presented Road Modification 01 to the board.
- Motion to approve to extend Muddy Gap Hollow Road Modification 01 for one year by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Shorewood Sanitary District
- Policy Committee –
- Nothing at this meeting.
- Clerk’s Township Update –
- Clerk present monthly report of township happenings.
- Furnace and Air Conditioner Quotes
- Board requested that Clerk send to Ray’s the signed estimate for Ray’s to order the furnace and air conditioner.
- Azalea Ave.
- Resident Frank McCrackin recapped the issues the 6 residents have at the end of Azalea Ave and what the residents are requesting the board to do. Currently the deeds of 5 of the residents are not showing the vacated road at the end of Azalea Ave. The concern is ensuring the township will continue to maintain the road even though there is evidence the road was vacated in 1959.
- The board stated, this was discussed with our attorneys and documented in the February 14, 2023 Board Meeting Minutes. Minnesota Statue 160.05 states that if a Township has maintained the travelled portion of the road in front of the properties in question for at least six straight years after 1959, then the Township will possess road easement under Minnesota Statue 160.05 over the area it has maintained including any land that it used to store snow when it plows the road. Nessel Township leans on Minnesota Statue 160.05 for guidance and continued maintenance of the road right of way.
- A notarized copy of these minutes will be provided to Frank after the meeting, it will also be scanned an email to him. Chair Michelle agreed to letting Frank draft a letter to the resident that has stated he cannot block the road if he wants. Once the draft letter is sent to the clerk, the clerk will send the letter onto the attorneys for review. This was modified to notarized copy of minutes only, no draft letter will be forth coming.
- Clean up Day Nessel Township
- The board determined Nessel Township will not have a cleanup day in 2023,
- Painting Town Hall – Check from RLIA
- Supervisor Doug mention to the board that he has a contact that would like to quote paining the townhall. The board determined to let his contact quote and will discuss at next board meeting.
- Clerk Position
- Board discussed the resumes received. A candidate was present, Heather Sward, who introduced herself to the board and gave an overview of her experience.
- Board reviewed the 5 resumes received for the Clerk position. They have chosen 3 of the candidates to interview. Clerk will setup a date and time for the interviews and notify the board of the meeting. Clerk will post notice on townhall door of with the date and time of the meeting.
Resident Joan, one of the 6 residents on Azalea Ave., asked the board what does she need to do to put a fence on her property. The board said she needs to speak with zoning at Chisago County for the permit and specs.
Motion to adjourn by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka at 8:45 pm. Approved.