Minutes: July 11, 2023. Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the August 8, 2023, Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair Michelle Meis, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisors present included Stan Iskierka, Brandon Mell via Skype, Doug Johnson and Betsy Rising, Clerk, Heather Sward, and Treasurer, Mary Dillner were also present.
Motion to approve the Agenda by Betsy Rising, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
June Board Meeting Minutes
Motion to approve the June Board Minutes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
Motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report by Betsy Rising. seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Discussion continued regarding the FDIC protected limit.
Motion to move the 2 largest regular CD accounts to a CDR account at Unity Bank, with Unity Bank to act as broker. Motion by Michelle Meis, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
Motion to approve paying presented bills by Betsy Rising. seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Tim & Trisha Donelon – 49725 Afton Way
Motion to approved the requested variance on the condition that the setback is 15’ from the road ROW and all drainage goes toward the lake, by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Brandon Mell. Approved
- Patty Jo & Steven Hagen – 51040 Rush Lake Way
Motion to approve the requested variance as written, by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
- Residents Frank McCrackin and Jane Fragle requested that Nessel Township mail a letter to all residents that are affected by the 120’ vacated portion of Azalea Avenue. It has been determined that the township possess a road easement under MN Statute 160.05. Chair, Michelle Meis approved the sending of requested letter.
Road Maintenance Report
- Muddy Gap Hollow has been performing mowing, picking up garbage in ditches. At this time due to the lack of rain, it is too dry to grade, but will need to be done soon.
- Faded/stolen road signs are being replaced and new resident 911 signs have been put up.
- We are still waiting to hear from CenturyLink on the culvert boring.
- New culverts are scheduled to be installed on Elmhurst Blvd. and Acorn Avenue.
- We still have 6500 yards of gravel to lay when conditions improve.
- Road Committee –
- Due to the pricing increases, Stan Iskierka has requested to purchase a supply of culverts, street sign posts and signs to build up our inventory due to impending cost increases. The board was in favor of this idea with an approximate $15k budget in mind, Stan will begin researching.
- Budget Committee –
- Nothing at this meeting.
- Contract Committee –
- Michelle Meis mentioned earlier that Fish Lake Township, whom we share Blue Heron Trail with, is starting to look at doing something with the road. They are obtaining pricing; we will know more at a later time.
- Policy Committee –
- After the variance discussion, Brandon Mell brought the idea of creating a policy to the effect of: Nessel Township does not approve variances that encroach on ROW’s for certain roads; due to the problems with parking and plowing. The board agreed this is a good idea, Brandon will work on it and bring to a future meeting.
- Clerk’s Township Update –
- The Clerk presented monthly report of the township happenings. Painting project, conversation with the Chisago County Historical Society regarding historic records, needing new fireproof file cabinet, assessment cabinets, resident’s missing 911 sign, reviewed updated election legislative changes, and we received our 2023-24 salt pricing from Cargill.
- Stan Iskierka tried to fix the office shredder and was not able to.
Motion to approved the purchase of a new office paper shredder by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
- Amble Avenue Surveying Contract
- Doug Johnson provided an update that they will be starting the project tomorrow, July 12th. There was a change to the original contract, now if it is a simple drawing, it will now be included in the base price, no additional charge.
- Painting Update
- Professional Painting completed the project this morning.
- We will need to look at updating the bathroom lighting fixtures as it is darker with the color.
- Flooring Update
- Chamberlain Flooring has confirmed that they are still on schedule to start on August 9th.
- They have not received the asbestos testing results back at this time.
- We will need to move the remainder of the furniture out prior to the project.
- Sample chair leg coverings have been purchased; we are going to try the smaller size before purchasing for all chairs.
- Discussed the replacement of the tables as they are worn and very heavy, and will potentially cause damage to the new flooring.
Motion was made to replace the ten (10) table with new plastic tables by Michelle Meis, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
- Heather will research how to put our current tables and wood chairs from the conference room up for sale/bid.
D. Shorewood Sanitary District (SSD) Snow Plowing
- We have not heard SSD regarding 2023-24 snow plowing at this time. Brandon will draft a letter to them.
- None at this time.
Motion to adjourn by Betsy Rising seconded by Stan Iskierka at 8:44 pm. Approved.