Minutes: August 10, 2022 Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the September 13, 2022 Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair Michelle Meis, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisor’s present includes Stan Iskierka and Branden Mell. Absent was Betsy Rising. Treasurer Mary Dillner and Clerk Mary Winter were also present.
Motion to approve the agenda by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Added to the Agenda is 498th Street.
Motion to approve the minutes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Branden Mell. Approved.
Motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Motion to approve paying bills by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Supervisor Branden requested additional clarity around the Claims List for Approval on the invoice for Muddy Gap Hollow Inc. The question specific is with the Account Name. There are 3 amounts with Unpaved Streets and 1 amount on Paved Streets. His question is how would the board be able to reconcile these 3 amounts with the invoice provided by Muddy Gap Hollow Inc. Our Treasurer, Mary D. stated CTAS will not allow any reports to be modified. Mary D. will determine if CTAS is capable in providing additional information on a report.
- 1 check has been written that is not on the report – Century Link. We need to determine what amount is currently due. Clerk Mary W. will call Century Link.
Motion to Approve variance for James & Elizabeth Langevin by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Motion to approve variance for Craig & Julie Granroth by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Motion to approve variance for Rusty & Jenny Heinen by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Ordinance Amendment to Zoning Ordinance – No action or comments to send to Chisago County.
- Cindy Erickson – Running for County Commissioner in the 5th District. Introduced herself to Nessel Township board. Cindy wants to know what we see as our issues that should be addressed at the county level.
- Supervisor Stan mentioned broadband and county needs to provide the townships that were proactive installing broadband with funds from the ARPA funds.
- Chair Michelle stated, generally the southern part of the county gets the funding for roads and bridges and we need a commissioner that would work for townships in the northern part of the county.
- Rafel Carreral – Introduced himself as a resident. Rafel has 30 acres of land that he cleared brush and timber on and wants to know what the process is to burn the debris. Supervisor Branden told him to go the fire warden to ask for a permit at Rush Point Store.
Road Maintenance Report
- 3 culverts were put in.
- Spreading gravel continually.
- Removed well over 100 trees this year.
- Purchasing a brusher and is requesting what the priorities would be. He will work with Supervisor Stan to determine priorities.
- With the purchase of a brusher John suggested $55.00/hour to run the brusher on the excavator. The board discussed the added cost to Nessel Township.
- Motion to approve $55.00/hour to run the brusher on the excavator with the current contract until next August by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Road Committee –
- Elm Crest – A resident said we only graded ½ of road. John was hauling gravel and did not get over to Elm Crest for 1 week. If it is really dry, he will do 2 passes rather than the 3 passes he usually does.
- Budget Committee –
- None at this meeting.
- Contract Committee –
- None at this meeting.
- Policy Committee –
- Moved Request for Public Information to here. Discussion around draft policy with the board. Changes were noted and the policy will be presented at the next month’s board meeting for board approval.
- Clerk’s Township Update –
- Clerk present monthly report of township happenings.
- Clover Trail Letter from Mell Construction
- No action required – information only.
- Request for Public Information
- Moved to Policy Committee.
- MN Association of Township District Meeting
- Chair Michelle plans on attending.
- Resolution 05-2022 Accepting Donations
- Motion to approve Resolution 05-2022 Accepting Donations by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Branden Mell. Approved.
- Added – 498th Street
- Received a call from a resident that he needs gravel on his road, there is grass in the middle of his road. Supervisor Stan stated in 1959 this road was platted and does not show his section of road belonging to Nessel. At some point the resident donated part of his property for a turnaround to Nessel township. Not the road. Supervisor Stan states we should not plow, grade or gravel this road. It is a private road. Supervisor Branden stated he is ok if we plow the road to the turnaround, if the resident wants something more than plowing, he should come to a board meeting. Supervisor Stan will talk with the resident. Nessel Township will continue to plow to the turnaround.
Motion to adjourn by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Branden Mell at 8:39 pm. Approved.