Minutes: August 8, 2023. Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the September 12, 2023, Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair Michelle Meis, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisors present included Stan Iskierka, Brandon Mell, Doug Johnson and Betsy Rising via skype. Clerk Heather Sward, and Treasurer Mary Dillner were also present.
Motion to approve the agenda by Brandon Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Board Meeting Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
Motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report by Brandon Mell. seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
Motion to approve paying presented bills by Brandon Mell. seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- JDNH Properties – 50091 Clover Trail
Motion to approve the requested variance on the condition that the CUP is amended to include: JDNH will apply dust control as needed and specifically more than once per year when needed. Coordination and application at the discretion of the township as the road authority from County Road 7 to Flickabirds driveway Betsy Rising, seconded by Brandon Mell.
- Robert & Jill Ross – 49755 Afton Ave
Motion to deny the variance request due to ROW setback by Brandon Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka.
- None at this meeting.
Road Maintenance Report
- Muddy Gap Hollow has been grading, installing culverts, removing downed trees, and has started spreading gravel again.
- Most of the new signs have been installed.
- John met with CenturyLink yesterday regarding the damaged culverts on Beach Ave, we are waiting for a resolution.
- Road Committee –
- Gravel testing was done: Elmcrest Ave – 11% Clay, Clover Trail – 11.86% Clay
- Brushing will be completed in the near future.
- Requested to purchase inventory of traffic cones (10), traffic posts (10), u-channel posts (70), culverts (23) and aprons (34) in assorted sizes in the approximate amount of $16,174.00 with ARPA funds.
Motion to approve inventory purchase as presented by Brandon Mell, seconded by Doug Johnson.
- Budget Committee –
- None at this meeting.
- Contract Committee –
- None at this meeting.
- Policy Committee –
- Proposed addition to ROW policy 3.4.1 to add the language: “Due to the limited space available on certain roads around Rush Lake that hinders grading, plowing and general road maintenance, it shall be the Townships policy to not approve any variances regarding encroachment on the ROW on the following roads: Adonis Ave, Afton Azalea Ave, Afton Way, Acacia Way, Amber Ave, Azalea Ave, Bayview Ave, 509th Street, Bayside Ave, Cedarcrest Way.”
Motion to add the proposed language to ROW Policy 3.4.1 by Michelle Meis, seconded by Stan Iskierka.
- Snowplowing Agreement for Nessel Township Private Road Residents (Other Than Shorewood Park) from 2004 was discussed. Currently the Township plows private roads, Bayview North, and Shorewood Park; since we are renegotiating the SPSD contract it was determined that we should review and update this agreement as well. Tabling to September meeting.
- Clerk’s Township Update –
- The Clerk presented monthly report of the township happenings. The townhall was prepped for the upcoming flooring project. A new printer, hardwood vacuum and shredder have been ordered/delivered, and Azalea Avenue letters were sent to residents
- Discussed the need for a new fireproof file cabinet. Options: $1865 1-hour rated from Uline or $5,292 for a 2-hour rated file cabinet from Fire King. Recommended to purchase a 1-hour rated fireproof file cabinet from Uline.
- Discussed selling the current tables. There are no guidelines that we have to follow. It was decided to advertise on the website for sealed bids. Heather will inventory size and qty and put on the website advertising for sealed bids, deadline September 8th.
- Amble Avenue Surveying Contract: (Discussed following Road Maintenance Report) We have not received anything back from Widseth, they have currently done utility locates. Residents on Amble Avenue were present and requested information regarding road improvements and plowing concerns. Once the ROW has been established improvement plans can be made.
- Shorewood Park Sanitary District (SPSD) Snow Plowing contract: (Discussed following Policy Committee) Brandon Mell presented on the discussion with Rich Stork, SPSD Chairman.
Motion to send the drafted termination letter to SPSD to cancel the previous 2004 agreement by Brandon Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka.
Brandon presented on the current status of snow plowing agreement, the options available and the MIDCO royalty fees. Feedback for a new contract was given, Brandon will update the proposed contract and will share with SDSP to discuss.
- Flooring Update: Chamberlain Flooring had to push our project back to an August 21st start date. The dumpster has been rescheduled. There was no asbestos found in the tile.
- MN Association of Townships District Meeting: Stan Iskierka and Doug Johnson will likely be attending, the meeting is on Thursday, August 10th at the Anoka Ramsey Community College (Cambridge Campus).
Motion to adjourn by Stan Iskierka seconded by Brandon Mell at 9:53. Approved.