Minutes: October 10, 2023. Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the November 14, 2023, Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair Michelle Meis, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisors present included Stan Iskierka, Branden Mell, Doug Johnson and Betsy Rising via skype. Clerk Heather Sward, and Treasurer Mary Dillner were also present.
Doug Johnson requested that we add: a request to install orange flags on certain speed limit signs and clearing the poplar tree on Bayview & County Rd 7.
Motion to approve the agenda with additions by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Board Meeting Minutes
Motion to approve the September 12th, regular meeting minutes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
Motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report by Branden Mell. seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
Motion to approve paying presented bills by Branden Mell. seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
- Carol Hauglie – 52275 Rush Lake Trl, Preliminary Plat Request. Autumn Woods Cottages.
Motion to approve the requested preliminary Plat by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Will Schmidt requested that Nessel Township take over the road maintenance of 540th Street, that is currently shared with Royalton Township on a bi-annual basis. Mr. Schmidt stated that the years that Nessel Township maintains the roads they are in good shape and the years that Royalton maintains the roads, they are not. Michelle suggested that a subcommittee is created consisting of John, Stan and Doug to work on this. We will add this to our November agenda.
Road Maintenance Report
- Muddy Gap Hollow has been grading and finished mowing.
- They have been working on Amble Avenue clearing brush and building the turnaround. John has contacted CenturyLink to move the post in the middle of the turn-around.
- Road Committee
- Amble Avenue: The USPS sent letters to residents to move mailboxes with incorrect information. Stan will talk to the postmaster.
- We have received 300 of the 1,000 yard of gravel that have been ordered.
- Salt: 100 tons has been secured through the state contract. None is needed at this time.
- Budget Committee
- Meeting has been set for Friday, December 1st, at 9:00 a.m.
- Contract Committee
- Branden presented on the meeting he attended at the Braham Fire Hall and the proposed Fire Service contract that has been presented for approval. Based on the calculations, Nessel Townships’ share of operating expenses is 13.79%, a total of $24,410.34. Based on the language of the contract, we will invite the Braham Fire Department to attend our October meeting in the future to review any future changes to the contract.
Motion to approve the City of Braham and Nessel Township Fire Service Contract as presented in the amount of $24,410.34 by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Branden read the proposed Muddy Gap Hollow Mod #2.
Motion to approve the contract modification #2 as presented by Branden Mell, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
- Policy Committee
- Snowplowing Agreement for Nessel Township Private Road Residents (Bayview North) was discussed. Residents spoke regarding the proposed rate language and the snow piling issue. It was determined that the township will plow Bayview North for a fixed fee of $500.00 per season and that the township will keep records relating to the snowplowing activities in order to establish a baseline for future price increases.
Motion to approve the agreement with noted changes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Betsy Rising. In favor thereof: Iskierka, Johnson, Meis and Rising. Opposed: Mell. Approved.
- Clerk’s Township Update
- The Clerk presented monthly report of the township happenings.
- The Clerk will attend a Presidential Nominating Primary Clerk’s meeting on Wednesday, October 18th at the Chisago County Government Center.
- Amble Avenue & Surveying Contract: Widseth Smith Nolting and Associates provided the documentation on the surveying project. We will make a file for retention. Work has been done on the project.
- Shorewood Park Sanitary District (SPSD) Snow Plowing contract: Mary reviewed her accounting plans for tracking the income and expenses related to SPSD snow plowing. Heather will get the contract printed and signed and will send the partially executed contract to Rick Stork, SPSD president.
- South Bay CUP: Dan Dahlberg, our Chisago County district’s Commissioner also supports our efforts to update the South Bay CUP. He will take it to the Planning Commission.
- LRIP Grant Opportunity – Clover Trail: Branden presented on the requirements for the grant opportunity. This will be the same project that was planned in 2021. Engineering and legal costs specifically not covered by the grant, along with any expenses over the grant amount would be paid by creating a SSD, with the affected residents. Currently the total cost is estimated to be $728,211.47, Branden used the MNDOT posted averages to estimate the total cost. To apply for the grant, we need to secure Chisago County as a sponsor.
Motion to approve resolution 02-2023 to apply for LRIP grant for pavement of Clover Trail by Branden Mell, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
Motion to Approve sending the drafted letter to Mr. Triplett, Chisago County Public Works Direction requesting Chisago County sponsor Nessel Township’s application for a LRIP grant for the pavement of a portion of Clover Trail by Branden Mell, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- Ratify Truck Purchase & Approve Lettering: It was brought to our attention that the discussion and approval of the 2023 Dodge truck was not documented.
Motion that we ratify the purchase of the 2023 Dodge truck by Michelle Meis, seconded by Stan Iskierka. In favor thereof: Iskierka, Johnson, Meis. Opposed: Mell, Rising. Approved.
A quote was obtained from Colors by Craig in the amount of $150-$175 to letter the 2023 Dodge truck. He would come onsite to letter the truck
Motion to approve up to $200.00 for lettering by Branden Mell, seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
- 2023-2024 Snow Plowing Policy: The draft snow plowing policy was presented and reviewed.
Motion to approve and publish the policy as presented by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved. The policy will be posted on the public notice sign, on our website and published in the Post Review.
- Salt Ordering: Our awarded contractor is Cargill at a delivered rate of $119.85 per ton. Stan requested that we look at inventory/ordering needs in January.
- County Planning Commission Soliciting Feedback re: Rural Village Center Zoning District Boundaries & Uses: The documents that were sent by the Chisago County Department of Environmental Services and Zoning were reviewed. It was determined that we do not have an opinion strong enough to write a memo, no action is needed.
- ECRDC – Chisago County Township Representative: Nominations are being sought to fill a vacancy that exists for a Chisago Township representative on the ECRDC board. No nominations were presented.
- Orange Flags on Speed Limit signs: It was requested to put orange flags on the speed limit signs on 500th, 505th and Clover Trail. Additional roads that could use flags were discussed. Motion to order eight (8) sets of brackets and flags was made by Michelle Meis, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
- Clearing Poplar Trees: There was a request to clear the poplar trees on Bayview and County Road 7 as it is blocking the ROW view. Stan will contact Mr. Triplett at Chisago County.
- Consortium Meeting: Michelle gave an update on the Consortium meeting/brainstorming session that she attended. The goal of the Consortium is to share services and equipment. They are going to meet quarterly.
Motion to adjourn by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Branden Mell at 9:30. Approved.