Minutes: November 14, 2023 – Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at the December 12, 2023, Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chair Michelle Meis, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited. Supervisors present included Stan Iskierka, Doug Johnson and Betsy Rising, Branden Mell, and Treasurer Mary Dillner joined virtually. Clerk Heather Sward was also present.
Motion to approve the agenda with additions by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
Board Meeting Minutes
Motion to approve the October 10, 2023, regular board meeting minutes by Stan Iskierka, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
Motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report by Branden Mell. seconded by Betsy Rising. Approved.
Motion to approve paying presented bills with the correction of the double entry of Muddy Gap Hollow that the treasurer had on the report as a place-holder by Betsy Rising. seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- None presented.
Road Maintenance Report
- Muddy Gap Hollow has been getting the roads ready for snow.
- We received the last of our September gravel order.
- Roads were plowed one (1) time to date for the 23-24 winter season.
- Debris (couch) that was dumped, has been removed.
- East Central Energy has been out clearing/brush cutting.
- Road Committee
- Amble Avenue: Stan talked to the USPS regarding the letter that was sent to residents
requesting them to move their mailboxes.
- Stan confirmed with Chisago County that Bayview and 7 brush cutting is on their schedule.
- Stan and John met with Shorewood Park Sanitary District President Rich Stork, to plan for the 23-24 plowing season.
- Royalton Township shared road: After our October meeting public comment, Stan was going to reach out to Royalton Township regarding the shared road maintenance. Discussion was had that due to this year being Nessel Township’s year for maintenance, we would wait to have the conversation with Royalton Twp. Stan will update the resident.
- There are concerns about the upcoming snow/plowing season and the number of vehicles, campers, etc… parked in the right of way. It was recommended that we send a letter to those that have been determined to be obstructive.
- We are fully stocked with salt, gravel, and culverts. Our inventory is in good shape.
- Budget Committee
- The annual working budget meeting is scheduled for December 1, 2023, at 9:00 am.
- Doug Johnson has asked to attend the meeting to get a better understanding of the budget work. The Clerk will post a public meeting notice on the door.
- Contract Committee
- No updates at this time.
- Policy Committee
- No updates at this time.
- Clerk’s Township Update
- The Clerk presented a monthly report of the township’s happenings.
- The 2024 snow removal policy has been published and updated on the website.
- 2024 Special Assessments have been submitted to Chisago County.
- The Annual township mileage and MnDOT changes have been submitted to Chisago County.
- The recently purchased fire-safe file cabinet was defective, it has been replaced.
- We have an upcoming hall rental.
- Training and planning have started for the 2024 elections.
- Private Road Plowing:
- Shorewood Park Sanitary District: The contract has been signed, the road tour has been completed, and John at Muddy Gap Hollow will bill SPSD separately from other plowings.
- Bayview North: Michelle has signed the contract for Nessel Township, we will have Mr. Webb sign on behalf of Bayview North residents. The deposit has been paid in full.
- South Bay CUP: Branden has no update from our commissioner at this time. Branden will follow up.
- LRIP Funding – Clover Trail: Chisago County has returned the signed sponsorship resolution. Branden will work on getting the grant application submitted by the deadline.
- 540th Street Maintenance: This was addressed during the roads committee report.
- 2024 Polling Place Resolution: Minn Statute 204b.16 requires the town board to designate its local polling place annually. Nessel Township has designated the Townhall, located at 49205 Acacia Trail as its polling place for all federal, state, and local elections for 2024. Motion to approve the presented resolution by Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka. Approved.
- VOTER Account Funds Allocation Agreement: Clerk Heather Sward presented on behalf of Chisago County. Nessel Township is expected to receive $123.51 of the VOTER (Voting Operations, Technology, and Election Resources) account allocation. Chisago County is the fiscal agent of these funds and because Chisago County is responsible for elections within
its county, they have requested that we sign the presented agreement allocating
Nessel Townships funds to them for the administration of our elections.
Motion to approve signing the agreement allowing the county to retain our townships share of funds for election administration by Betsy Rising, seconded by Doug Johnson. Approved.
- Earned Sick and Safe Time: Minnesota Statute 181.9445 requires Minnesota employers to provide paid sick and safe time leave to employees who work at least 80 hours per year effective January 1, 2024. MAT has provided a sample policy and resolution that was discussed. It was determined that board members would do more research and we would
revisit this in December.
Motion to adjourn by Stan Betsy Rising, seconded by Stan Iskierka at 8:45. Approved.