Minutes: 13 February Regular Board Meeting
Presented for approval at March 14, 2018 Board Meeting
February meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Michelle Meis with the Pledge of Allegiance. Supervisors present include, John Paitl, Branden Mell, Betsy Rising and Tom McKenzie. Also present was Clerk, Stan Iskierka. Not present was Treasurer, Mary Dillner.
Agenda (Additions or Changes)
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Paitl to approve Agenda. Approved.
Motion by Paitl second by Rising to approve January minutes. Approved.
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Rising to approve Treasurer’s Report. Approved.
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Rising to approve paying bills with a change to SEH payment from $13,564.62 to $468.84 with a total monthly payable from $27,000.63 to $13,904.85. Approved.
- Snowplowed or salted roads
- Removed a tree
- Board discussed what to do with vehicles or equipment that are parked on the road right-of-way. Township Snow Policy states that there is no parking on the road right-of-way, therefore, should the vehicle be towed or should we send a letter warning the resident that the next time their vehicle is parked on the road or road right-of-way, the vehicle or equipment will be towed.
- Board decided to do one courtesy letter warning the resident not to park on the road right-of-way.
- Sutcliffe will notify a Board Member that a vehicle is parked on road right-of-way causing a snowplowing problem. Board Member will then call for the vehicle to be towed away.
- When a street signpost is broken, the Township needs to have some type of temporary post to hold the street sign in place until a post is installed permanently. Board agreed that we need a temporarily post to hold a sign until a permanent one is installed. Iskierka will look into purchasing two temporary posts to hold a street sign.
- Doug O’Brien– Resident wants to build a new garage that will be only 10 feet from the road.
Motion by McKenzie second by Rising to approve building garage but the setback will be 20 feet instead of 10 feet from property line.
- Resident of Alpine Ave. suggested that the Township does not need to place Dresser chips with the salt application instead just place salt and Dresser chip at the intersections.
- Radio tower is not in service because the contractor installed an antenna on the radio tower that exceeds the maximum height requirements. Contractor will be working on the problem in the near future.
- Board will postpone discussing changes in the Policy Manual until the March meeting.
- Annual Meeting – Iskierka needs approval to present the following information to the residents at the Annual Meeting. He also asked the Board if they noticed any corrections needed in the 2017 Annual Minutes. No corrections needed.
- Approval for the Board of Audit Minutes of 2017 expenditures.
Motion by Rising seconded by McKenzie to approve Audit Minutes of 2017 expenditures. Approved.
- Approval of 2019 budget of $500,882 to present to the residents at the Annual Meeting.
Motion by Rising seconded by Paitl to approve budget for 2019 of $500,882. Approved.
- Approval for Supervisory Report with a levy of $446,313 to present to the resident at the Annual Meeting.
Motion by Rising seconded by McKenzie to approve Supervisory Report with a levy of $446,313.
- Approval of Annual Agenda to present to the residents at the Annual Meeting.
Motion by McKenzie seconded by Paitl to approve agenda. Approved.
- Approval to print newsletter and mail to the residents before the Annual Meeting.
Motion by Meis seconded by Rising to approve printing and mailing newsletter to residents. Approved.
- Deputy Clerk – Iskierka has another applicant for the Deputy Clerk position and would like the Board to interview the three candidates. Iskierka will try to arrange the interviews on Monday, February 19, 2017 starting at 6:00 pm.
- Shared Road Maintenance Agreement – Royalton Township sent a Shared Road Agreement for 540th St. to be signed by Nessel Township Board. This agreement is to share the cost to maintain this County Line road. We have an old agreement between the townships but the new agreement is more up to date.
Motion by Rising and seconded by Paitl to approve the new Shared Road Agreement for 540th St. with Royalton Township. Approved.
- Park Shelter – All the documents needed to get the approval from Chisago County so that the Township can receive the funds from the Township Park Fund to build the shelter was presented to the County. County Park Board and the Zoning Board have approved it. Nessel Township is still waiting for the approval of the County Commissioner.
- Braham City Fire Contract – Chairperson, Meis has signed the Fire Contract.
- Donations – Approval for Resolution 1-2018 for donation of $500.00 from Rush City Sno- Bugs and Resolution 2-2018 for donation of $5000.00 from Rush Lake Association for the Park Shelter. Chairperson, Meis needs to sign thank you letters to these organizations.
Motion by Rising second by Paitl to approve Resolution 1-2018 and 2-2018 and to send thank you letters. Approved.
- Board of Appeal – Will be held on Tuesday April 17, 2018 at 9:30 am.
- CATO Meeting – Meis and McKenzie attended the CATO Meeting and one of the topic included reflective blue address signs. The County is applying for a grant that would help pay for the installation of the signs. The Townships will pay a portion of the labor to install the signs and the County would pay for the signs and posts. Township would have to have a resolution to do the project. Board discussed the project and thought that it would be beneficial for the Township, as this would help the emergency personnel find the homes more quickly. Township will send a letter of acceptance to participate in the blue sign project to the County right away and next month the Board needs to pass a resolution that we will participate in the project.
Motion by Rising second by Paitl to participate in the blue sign project. Approved.
- County needs to replace all emergency radios for their vehicles and personnel and the cost will be passed on to the cities and townships. No cost is known at this time.
Motion by Rising seconded by Paitl to Adjourn at 8:55 pm. Approved.